Friday, December 11, 2009

Ellen Hopkins



Crank was hugely popular at the public library where I worked, read by both boys and girls. I think it might be a bit controversial (from reading the listserves, but can't put my memory on anything specific) which always attracts me, so I wanted to read more about it.
Based on the author's daughter's crystal meth addiction and written in verse, this seems like it could be an intense read. I've really enjoyed the poetry format this semester; it surely forces an author into making precise language choices and is very appealing.
Hopkins followed with similarly intense books: Glass, Burned, Impulse, Identical, Tricked. Dealing with substance and physical abuse, teen pregnancy and generally hopeless, tragic situations, it seems Hopkins has come up with a winning formula. This reminds me a bit of the girls who love the Lurlene McDaniels "I'm too young to die" genre. Sometimes you just want to read this stuff. Definitely on my to-read list.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how I missed that this was inspired by her daughters experience! Wow... She writes dark, dark stuff, but my students gobble it up too. Nice picks! 3

    ReplyDelete