Wednesday, November 4, 2009

How funny does it have to be?



Today's discussion boards were interesting as folks debated how funny some of the humorous books were. Before this course, I thought of humorous books in terms of David Sedaris--books that provided stories designed to elicit laughter. While other books may contain funny characters, or humorous situations, I didn't think of them primarily as humorous books.
Al Capone Does my Shirts was the book being discussed. I read it a couple of years back and don't remember it as a "funny" book. There were humorous situations, but the overall theme seemed to be about Moose and his relationships with his family and friends. I wouldn't classify this as a humorous book. King of the Mild Frontier, in comparison, provided one comedic bit after another in Chris Crutcher's childhood. I would classify this memoir as humorous.
I think humor remains in the mind of the reader and perhaps this category is more subjective than romance or horror.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you wrote this! I was feeling so badly because always appreciate humor that arises from a situation or books where humor is based on something that is not necessarliy funny. And I think that truthfully, I picked books I like that I thought were funny rather than funny books that I may or may not have liked myself. And the Cruther book (the one with most laughs per page) was my least favorite of the 4! I will always love David Sedaris, though, no matter how hard he insists on making me laugh.

    ReplyDelete