Sunday, November 22, 2009

Scary Books

Scary books were a favorite when I was a teenager. I liked Stephen King for a long time. I also liked to read true horror stories--famous crimes, and psychological thrillers. Not so much anymore. I prefer to spend my reading time focussing on positive, uplifting stories, plus this old house has just too many creaks and noises that run my imagination wild without further fuel!

My reading choice this week was the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I had enjoyed Gregor the Overlander and had read so many tempting reviews that this was the book on the YA list I was most excited to read. It did not disappoint. Coming on the heels of last week's amazing Unwind this book once again thrust us into a dystopian society. Humans are scary. Forget the vampires (who lately are not much more than brooding hunks, which is ok with me), the zombies, the creepy clowns. It is our human race and the hideous things we do to each other that are frightening.

The tie-in of Hunger Games to our modern fascination with reality TV is what pulled me in. I love Survivior, and it wasn't a big leap to picture something like the Hunger Games being pushed on the island. How far will those shows go? People are eating live insects or subjecting themselves to starvation in the poorest of conditions just to earn money. Fighting to the death--winner takes all---you can just about see the premier coming after the Super Bowl.
Another wonderful, thought provoking book that I couldn't put down. Can't wait to get my hands on the sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment