Sunday, November 15, 2009

Terrier by Tamora Pierce

My older elementary girls are gaga over Tamora Pierce. We have the Alanna Series and The Circle Opens at my school and it has always been fun to see girls discover them based on recommendations from older sisters. I'm sorry to say I have not read one. The whole medieval fantasy wall drops down in front of me (and maybe I thought I saw a dragon on the cover once) and I won't go near it. Students tell me the books' appeal is centered around strong female protagonists (okay, I like that part.)
Pierce has been writing for a while and is still active. Here most recent work is the Beka Cooper series, the first of which is Terrier which I found at the Erving Public Library.
From reading the flap it appears this story is about a girl who is training to be a Provost's Guard in a medieval land. She has magical powers which she uses to help fight crime. This story is told in a first-person journal format. I just may be inclined to finally give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment