Friday, November 13, 2009

Where are the boys?

I have a strong interest in gender differences in reading--particularly how we disservice our boys. Since I'm in an elementary school I've been doing my trolling for YA gems at the local public libraries and on the internet. I visit three libraries regularly and they are small, cozy and rural . Two of them have YA sections, one doesn't (there are a few YA materials scattered in the children's room, though.)
What I've noticed is a glaring gender bias toward girls. Hunger Games and Leviathan, Horowitz, some dragony fantasy, Crutcher and Myers, some graphic novels....what else is out there for boys? I haven't seen many sports novels, YA nonfiction, adventure, mystery...
Is it because the female librarians are selecting for girls or that boys aren't reading so they stopped buying for them.
I know there are many novels that will appeal to both genders, but my overall impression is that this is a girl's market. I am worried about a snowball effect of something many see start in elementary school, which is boys stop reading. We have to make sure there are materials that they are interested in!

No comments:

Post a Comment